What is P-EBT?
A temporary benefit available to Minnesota families with children who would have received free/reduced-price meals if schools were operating in an in-person learning model.

Who Qualifies for the Benefits?
To be eligible, K-12 students must qualify for free or reduced-price meals and their school must also meet certain requirements. Students qualify for free or reduced-price meals in one of two ways:

  • Receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) or Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF) benefits
  • Approved for free or reduced-price school meals through the Application for Education Benefits at the child’s school. 

In addition, their school must meet certain requirements for each month of benefits. Qualifying students receive monthly benefits when:

  • The school reports distance learning for a majority of the month OR
  • The school reports hybrid learning for a majority of the month OR
  • The student elected distance learning for at least 11 days in a month.

Because Willow River Area School had to transition to distance learning for a portion of the school year, and may again if conditions require it, and offers full time distance learning by choice; currently enrolled Willow River students will qualify for benefits for the 2020-2021 school year and have  been approved, or your household is currently enrolled in SNAP or MFIP.

How Do I Apply?
Unlike last Spring, there is not an application process for the 2020-2021 P-EBT benefits; eligible families will be issued benefits automatically.  Benefit amounts will be based on the time periods in which your child attended school through a distance- or a hybrid- learning model. These benefits are offered through the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and managed by the Minnesota Department of Human Services and Minnesota Department of Education.

I Have More Questions.  Where Can I Find More Information?
We encourage you to check out the Minnesota Department of Human Services P-EBT website.

Anything Else I Need To Do?
Make sure the school has your current mailing and email address, and phone number.  If you believe your children would qualify for free/reduced meals and you haven't yet applied, complete an application and submit it to Willow River Area School now.  Paper applications can be found by clicking HERE.  You can click here for information to apply online through the JMC Parent Portal, or call the District Office at  (218)372-3131 Ext 114.